Sunday, May 30, 2010

An Intense Focus

We were instructed by our Stake President tonight to develop an intense drive for and focus on important things in our lives.  I have many specifics I find important, but the question I asked myself, "how would I categorize and prioritize those?"  In the interest of time and need for sleep on a Sunday evening, let me just note some categories and quick thoughts on each:

1. Family: This is an obvious choice for the primary focus area.  First comes an intense effort to serve Chelsea and our future family, followed by may parents, siblings, inlaws and extended family.  My relationship with my Heavenly Father plays into this as well, as does my relationship to Christ and all of my spiritual brothers and sisters.  Love of fellow man must be the central and primary focus point.

2. Economy: On a micro level, this relates to my employment, my financial position (debt and assets) and my place as a wise producer and consumer.  But I also have greater responsibility to learn, teach and advocate wise principles of contribution, production, investment, etc.  Also my defense of free market capitalism and the right of human beings to prosper, trade and deal honestly with one another.

3. Society: This represents my stance on social issues of concern; protection of human life, families, democracy, justice and a limited government that provides for the common good with balance and well managed social programs.  My overall concept of a healthy social framework focuses on charitable empowerment.  Human beings are only served when given opportunities to expand their potential.

4. Ecology: This does not need to be at odds with 2. and 3.  Proper care for the environment should be a concern of all citizens.  Although I may not politicize the issue and result to scare tactics, I must act and teach conservation, cleanliness, protection of water, land and air resources, etc.  I need to advocate technologies in fuel and reusable materials that better life while conserving the delicate balance that sustains life, provides enjoyment and testifies of the grandeur and creative power of God.

I'll likely write more about this in the future.  I just had the itch to get some thoughts down while fresh in the head.

JSW

1 comment:

  1. This is where my brain has been lately as well (with a 3rd biological coming, time continues to evaporate). Per my Bishop, our priorities as members are supposed to be:
    1 - Individual physical and spiritual well-being (note: not the ability to be a tri-athlete or needing to study the scriptures 3 hours/day, but being physically and spiritually capable of serving others, which leads to...).
    2 - Family (wife, kids, then extended).
    3 - Church (the next level of "extended" family: ward, then stake, etc).
    4 - "Everything else". Career advancement (beyond 'Providing'), hobbies, etc.

    It's an interesting paradigm which can basically be summarized as "I need to keep myself 'fit' to serve. Who then should I serve? Well, here is the order...". It's helped me a lot. For what it's worth.

    ReplyDelete